A Mums Night Off With Last Drop Village
We all know how difficult it is being a parent, even more difficult being a working parent, managing your own business as well as juggling school, family, friend and other life commitments too. Life can at times just become a little too much that you forget you matter too, you need a break, some down time and a bit of TLC.
For as long as I have been a parent, and felt a bit more grown up, I have always wanted to experience a spa break. Some time with a friend, some “down-time” and to enjoy a bit of pampering with a treatment. I always knew I’d have to drag my friend Tina along with me so that we could enjoy a Mums Night Off and a good catch up as we really don’t spend enough time together . So back in April 2018 we finally booked our first ever break and we loved it so much that we returned again to the same location at the end of January!
Our choice of spa break destination was Last Drop Village in Bolton, Lancashire. For our visit we booked this fab deal through Wowcher which includes a 1 night stay. glass of prosecco, dinner and treatment package for 2 people at a great price of £149 (£74.50 each!).
One thing that always appeals to me about Last Drop is the overall look of the location, from the front it looks like your entering a beautiful country hotel and from the inside it doesn’t fail to continue that feel. Not only does Last Drop host Spa Breaks but it also has its own shopping village, venue to hold conferences, events and weddings! Its a great venue with plenty to do on site.
For our stay we booked a twin room and we were able to check in at 2pm. Upon arrival we were upgraded to an Executive Room, upgrades can be purchased on arrival for an additional cost of £10pp (depending on room availability). Also included in a room upgrade is dressing gowns delivered to your room, slippers, bottles of water and a box of chocolates each.
Located rather central in the hotel complex you will find the Village Spa, pretty soon after arrival we got changed and made our way over. Here you will find the gym with regular fitness classes and personal trainers whilst also hosting a wellness and beauty area.
After exiting the changing rooms you will find 2 pools and a range of saunas.
- Swimming Pool – 18 meters long and 1.2 meters deep. Perfect for swimming lenghts to enjoy a good swim.
- Hydrotherapy Pool – This pool is just AMAZING. The water is super warm and feels amazing against the air of a cold day. The water helps promote relief to muscular injuries whilst also reducing inflammation.
- Rock Sauna – Perfect for Sauna goers who enjoy the highest of temperatures a sauna can offer (between 80c-90c!). I enjoyed this sauna for a good 10 minutes or so before is got a little too uncomfortable for me as the air was very dry. There are various health benefits linked to a Rock Sauna, these include improved circulation, lower blood pressure, enhanced immune system as well as joint and muscle pain relief.
- Bio Sauna – This is just like the Rock Sauna, just not as hot, with temperatures of around 60c-65c. Perfect for someone like me who struggles in the more intense heat.
- Steam Room – This was by far my favourite Sauna experience, so much so I couldn’t help but return a couple of times during our stay. This room features a more humid experience and temperatures between 40c-45c. Health benefits include relief for people with respiratory problems and with the addition of eucalyptus essence this provides an environment that rejuvenates body and mind.
- Aroma Grotto – Using aromtherapy essences this room was great for relaxing and feeling rejuvenating. With a mild temperature of 35c-40c (very similar to the Hydrotherapy Pool) after 15 minutes in this room you leave feeling calmer.
- Halotherapy Room – The coolest of all the rooms (21c-24c), this room features the benefits of salt therapy to improve skin conditions. By inhaling the mineral salt particles in the air in this room also can help relieve congestion and provide relief for Asthma sufferers too.
After visiting any of the sauna rooms its always great to enjoy a warm shower afterwards, of which there are 2 showers in the area.
As part of our package we were able to book a Spa treatment each, of which we booked Hot Stone Massages at 4pm. The wellness area is situated upstairs, above the pools of which comprises of numerous treatment rooms, a sitting room and a small area where you can get a hot or cold drink.
After a fantastic afternoon in the Spa we left feeling very refreshed, we returned to our room and got ready for our evening meal in the Courtyard Restaurant. Our package included a 2-course meal of which we thoroughly enjoyed.
As you can probably work out from the images above the meal was amazing, we were provided with a small range of breads, butter and oil and also some olives for appetiser. I enjoyed a starter of Chicken Liver Pate with Red Onion Chutney and Toasted Croutes and then fully enjoyed the delights of an 8oz Sirloin Steak with Chucky Chips, Grilled Mushroom, Onion Rings and a Garlic Butter for my main (£7.50 supplement for this meal). It was all absolutely amazing and the Sirloin Steak was one of the best cuts of meat I’ve ever had!
After eating we were finding ourselves comfortably full and very relaxed but we soon discovered this wasn’t the end of our meal. Upon the return of our waiter we were surprised with this epic pudding and believe me, it tasted MUCH better than it looks. We enjoyed chocolate covered strawberries with a toffee sauce dip, hot sticky toffee pudding topped with vanilla ice cream, profiteroles, chocolate brownies and mini cheesecakes topped with a chocolate straw and physalis.
We left the dining room that evening feel extremely full but knowing we’d fully enjoyed every bite!
After a food induced coma sleep we woke next morning for breakfast still feeling rather full from dinner the night before. We headed down for breakfast with the full intentions of keeping our meal light, I managed toast whilst sharing a portion of Eggs Florentine with Tina, that was fantastic!
As part of our booked package we received the option to have a late check-out, standard check out is around 11am where as with late check out we were able to stay in our room until 2pm. To round up our fantastic visit, after breakfast we made our way back to the spa, enjoying another relaxing session on the loungers by the hydrotherapy pool.
There’s just absolutely no way to express just how wonderful Last Drop Village is. The location, the layout, the facilities, the bedrooms, the food, all of it is just great and also fantastic value for money. You will not leave disappointed.
Disclosure: I purchased my own Spa Break experience with Last Drop Village through Wowcher. Although we received complementary room upgrades I wasn’t asked to write about my experience. I just enjoyed it that much I wanted to share.