How Does Your Garden Grow?

Well, you asked me a question and I shall give you the answer: Crap!

I live in a rented property so I don’t tend to “grow” anything in the gardens of rented properties because we usually end up moving house again within 12 months. But this time we appear to be staying put for longer (HOORAH!) and now with the sun shining I want to make an effort in the garden apart from the usual up keep. I can mow, strim and do general tidying up. ClearlyDaddy tends to keep to the major upkeep, i.e. trimming the hedges (I cut through cables).

All that said my garden is missing some colour, my garden is just green! The borders are missing some lovely flowers and there are weeds which just keep taking over. I am also rather reluctant to do any more due to my kids de-heading all my rose bushes and the dog with his fascination of digging holes.

Garden1Please excuse the tent… its the kids den!

I am joining this linky today to show you all how poor my garden is, so embarrass myself into doing more with it… but I’m really unsure what to actually do!!

This morning whilst on a trip to ALDI for loo roll and bin bags (yep that’s all I went for) I was admiring the plants which are outside on the big trolleys. I like admiring plants, I think they are pretty but would never last in my garden so the plants always stay there on the trolley being admired by me. I am not green fingered what so ever, all I have to do it look at a plant and it dies. But this summer I am taking the plunge, and I have bought 3 gorgeous plants and a self watering pot. The pot now contains my strawberry plant which was planted back in February and kept in the house ever since, no doubt I am too late to hope for any strawberries to come off it this year but it’ll most likely die now that I have re-homed it and touched it!

Garden2As for the 3 plants I have planted the sunflower at the right hand side of my garden which gets a very generous amount of sun on a daily basis and the other 2 plants are still in my out house.

Garden3

I want to get another pot to plant the last 2 at the weekend or do I plant them here when I topped up the border with more compost?! My only concern with the border is it doesn’t get much direct sunlight until late afternoon, will that affect the growth?

Garden4

I am still relucant to plant anything actually IN the garden for fear of moving again but we have just signed another 12 month contract so that’s 12 months I no longer need to think about so maybe I should just take the plunge?!

1. Merlinda Little

27th June 2014 at 9:17 am

I am renting too so i know your pain. You have no power over your house =P But you are lucky to have a garden as I only have a small terrace and we only do pots. your garden looks spacious! I have sunflower envy as mine got infected by something and wont grow any bigger and wont flower =( #hdygg

2. Gemma Garner

26th June 2014 at 8:25 pm

Your new plants look lovely! I don’t think you’re too late for strawberries, as long as it stays warm you should get some šŸ™‚ Perhaps you could have a pot of mint in your border? My garden mint is really happy in the shade. Lobelia is another plant that has thrived in the shady areas of my garden. If they are in pots you can always move them into the sun for a bit if you want to.

1. ClearlyBex

26th June 2014 at 10:19 pm

Good idea Gemma. I do love a mint plant, dont they grow a little too “wild” and out of control though? I need an easy garden to look after haha. I’m going pot and plant shopping on Saturday. Daren’t tell the hubby yet though!

1. Gemma Garner

26th June 2014 at 10:24 pm

Haha! Mums the word *wink*. Mint is easy to control in pots. If you want to put it in the ground, plant it in a large pot first and then into the ground (I learn’t that the hard way!).

3. Lauren Holmes

26th June 2014 at 12:33 pm

Just go for it! Enjoy your garden for a year. If you move out and leave your flowers behind, it might bring joy to the tenant that moves in after you. You can always grown more!

1. ClearlyBex

26th June 2014 at 10:17 pm

Thank you. I think I may look at shallow pots, lined in the edges so that I can pick them up and take them with me. I dread to think if the previous tenant who now has my clematis is looking after it.

4. lilmuselily

26th June 2014 at 12:33 pm

we live in a rented house with a big yard and my answer to color in the yard is to plant flowers in pots so one day we can take them with us. we do a lot of tree trimming around here though….

1. ClearlyBex

26th June 2014 at 10:16 pm

Thank you. I think pots are my route to follow šŸ™‚

5. AnnieMammasaurus

26th June 2014 at 11:56 am

Having spent a few years in rented properties in my time I can totally recommend plant pots! You can go for the whole container garden vibe with different sized plant pots growing everything from plants and herbs to veggies – and if you end up moving again you just take them all with you! It can look great too, my mother does that in her garden and it always looks so quirky šŸ™‚

Thanks for joining in !

1. ClearlyBex

26th June 2014 at 10:15 pm

I think that’s an good route for me to follow. I am gutted I left a clematis at my previous house, is flowered really well too last summer. It would have been lovely in this garden too. Thank you Annie x

6. dorissander

25th June 2014 at 3:32 pm

take the plunge and enjoy the moment! (and green is a lovely color!). šŸ™‚

1. ClearlyBex

25th June 2014 at 9:01 pm

Thank you, I think I will. My border will look lovely with some colour in it. Might hide the ugly pipes some what! lol