The Kids

Leah’s Speech – 23 Months Old

Back in September I was so so excited to share that Leah seemed to finally making progress with her speech as I recorded her saying “cheese”, something that she’d never said other than “Yes & No”.

Then in November I reported that this appeared to be a complete and utter fluke as she’d never said “cheese” again and even to this day she’s never said another word other than her usual. I regularly sit with her to coax words out of her (animals/household items), count with her or even try to get her to say Mummy or Daddy. All my attempts have failed miserably and usually resulted in a rather upset child, either from annoyance or from upset from not being able to say what she wants.

So today I took Leah to see the Health Visitors for an assessment. The HV was lovely, she sat with Leah for a while, asked her questions and tried to coax other words from her but to no avail. We then sat with a listening, understand and speech chart of where I was to answer and inform of what Leah could do. For her listening and understanding Leah is absolutely bang on target, if not a little head her age range for this. Leah can follow simple commands, knows all her body parts and points them all out. But for her speech we were unable to pass the 10m> mark as Leah’s never even babbled in an attempt of speech or recognition as babies tend to do.

Also at about 18m> children tend to also have a vocabulary of about 20 or so words, of which Leah has 2 words.

As a result the Health Visitor saw fit to have her referred to a Speech Therapist to look into her problems more in depth and offer guidance to help her progress with her speech.

Although Leah doesn’t speak she does have ways of sharing her wants and needs. Mainly by screeching or consistently saying “ah!!” but its about time I had some proper words from her.

I’m so glad someone finally listened to me, and actually went through a progress chart to discover and agree with me there is an issue.

Whether the issue is just down to sheer laziness or there is an underlying issue only time will tell……

**This is a personal post.

1. Steph

1st March 2014 at 9:07 pm

fingers crossed you get some answers. If she is getting what she wants from screeching and saying ah it could well be laziness.

Einstein didn’t speak till he was 3 and that turned out well!

2. Danni

26th February 2014 at 10:57 pm

I remember being worried about Squish’s speech at a similar age. Needless to say, we cannot shut him up now and it all sort of clicked within a really short space of time! It was more ‘won’t’ than ‘can’t’.

…then it’s on to the next worry! lol WOOHOO!

26th February 2014 at 9:27 pm

@AtoZ Mummy Thank you hun, I know what you mean. Even though Leah doesn’t talk I always know what shes after. She’s an incredibly easy kid to understand her needs and she’s smart too. X

4. AtoZ Mummy

26th February 2014 at 10:57 am

That’s great that your HV has taken you seriously. Both of my brothers had to have speech therapy (for a few years) and they are both ridiculously intelligent, articulate guys! You’ll probably find that she picks up quickly, I think some kids just take it all in and suddenly start to talk. Baby A doesn’t really say anything yet, just a few little babbling noises which I know what they mean but nobody else does LOL! x

5. susan

25th February 2014 at 12:03 pm

You have taken steps in the right direction and hopefully she will now get the right help.

22nd February 2014 at 8:41 pm

@hannah I’m hoping that’ll be the case Hannah, it’d be good to have an end to this non-speaking problem!

22nd February 2014 at 8:37 pm

@Katie Clark Thank you Katie x

22nd February 2014 at 8:28 pm

@Becky Willoughby Thank you hun x

22nd February 2014 at 8:19 pm

@Helen at Casa Costello Me too Helen, I very nearly cried when the HV agreed with me there was a problem/delay I couldnt stop saying thank you too her. I am hopeful Leah will speak very soon and is being rather lazy but I also dont like seeing her struggle and also think there could be an underlying issue that needs addressing?! *confused*

22nd February 2014 at 8:11 pm

@Jenny Thank you Jenny. I’m hoping she does pipe up before our appointments start and then we can give the appointments to someone who actually needs them!

11. Jenny

22nd February 2014 at 8:32 am

I am glad you got your appt and don’t have to wait longer. It’s hard with the unknown, watch she will start chattering away right before. My son did it to me kept going cross eyed and we were really worried but everytime we go to the docs he doesn’t do it. They won’t help unless they see it. So frustrating. My nephew didn’t say hardly anything until he was 3! He is 10 now and fine but just chose not to speak much when he was little no one knows why. I have heard it a lot lately. 🙂 #sharefriday

12. Helen at Casa Costello

21st February 2014 at 9:59 pm

I’m so glad that someone has listened to you and trusted the word and opinion of a mother. I had the reverse situation of this with my middle daughter – nursery were desperate to refer her at 2.5 but I knew that she would just start rambling one day when it suited her … and she did! Fingers crossed she is testing you and will speak in full sentences when you least expect it x

13. Becky Willoughby

21st February 2014 at 5:56 pm

hopefully she will now get the help she needs x

14. Katie Clark

21st February 2014 at 3:08 pm

I’m glad to hear the hv was understanding and has referred you to speech therapy. Hopefully, it will just be that she’s developing in her own time and at her own rate, but it will be good to put your mind at rest.

15. hannah

21st February 2014 at 2:58 pm

Glad you’re getting help however I wouldnt worry to much at this point. My mums always reminds be that I never said a word till I was two and half ten I came out with a full sentence asking for a drink stunned everyone and never looked back. Bear with her I’m sure with the right help she will be chattering in no time x

16. Mothergeek

19th February 2014 at 10:59 pm

I’m glad to hear you’ve been and that Leah’s going to be seeing a speech therapist soon. I hope you don’t have to wait long for your first appointment xx

17th February 2014 at 7:37 pm

@Pippa Ainsworth They certainly do hun! It’ll just be my lucky that Leah finally pipes up just before her appointments hehe.

18. Pippa Ainsworth

17th February 2014 at 7:06 pm

I’m pleased you have been and that you had a good response. Fingers crossed her speech picks up soon. As you know I’m worried about my girl’s speech too, they do put us through it, don’t they? Big hugs xx